Thursday, June 19, 2008

New email domains from yahoo

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/stories/2008/06/16/daily53.html

Yahoo launches two new user domains, @ymail.com and @rocketmail.com

They claim that this will finally help people get rid of awkard email ids like kinky88@....com and allow them to choose their own emails.
I am just trying to better understand what this is going to offer the consumer. If the main purpose is to allow you to choose the right name then wouldn't an aliasing function work better? I.e. a function that aliases your email to a different, a little bit better email address. I hope yahoo incorporates a sync function for syncing the old address with the new one, or atleast a forwarding function.

Its also interesting to see that yahoo used ymail which is similar in essense to gmail and rocketmail, which sounds kinda like hotmail. I personally think that rocketmail is so "yesterday". But thats me.

No comments: